Sunday, March 6, 2016

Easter Egg Shakers and Dowel Rhythm Sticks

Currently I am exploring how I can implement music into my program. I always like to sing songs with the children, but I've stopped short of adding instruments. Since we are so close to Easter, it is easy to find those fillable plastic Easter eggs in Dollar Stores. It is the perfect time to make those shakers! I've seen quite a few of them out there in internet land, today, I will simply show you mine.



I was looking for clear ones as I have coloured sand, but I wasn't able to find any. There are two holes in each end of these fillable Easter eggs. I took a piece of clear tape to cover them. You'd think that would make it sticky on the outside, but it doesn't.


I filled the larger end of the eggs halfway up with the coloured sand. You can pick it up at your local craft store.


Close them up tight! I used some of that colourful duck tape to cover and seal the seam. Make sure the seam doesn't pop open when you put the tape around.

The other musical instruments I added to my bag of tricks are rhythm sticks. I discovered my local craft store had a package of four 12" dowels with a diameter of 7/16th of an inch. I made sure the ends got an extra sanding to prevent splinters, but left them natural. Some sites suggest you can varnish them, put tape on them, or decorate in other ways.



I'm coming up with different ideas on how to implement the instruments with my work. I will use some of what I learned at the inservice I attended. If you haven't read my post on the inservice, click HERE. I'm gathering information on cross-midline techniques, folk songs and music with actions. Stay tuned for my next post!

Thanks for stopping by where Play Has Meaning

Ms. Bev

No comments:

Post a Comment